At some point during the late summer/early fall of 2014, I got a lot of motivation and inspiration to do a lot of DIY projects (art and otherwise) and general sprucing up of my house.
So here’s a run down (mainly for my own memory) of what I did in 2014:
1. Herringbone art which included spray painting a couple of old frames.
2. Thumbtack art (LOTS of that – set off my obsession and addiction)
3. Metallic ABC magnets
4. My kitchen: painted the counters, added contact paper to the inset of the upper cabinet doors, changed out the hardware on the uppers, Rub n Buffed the hinges on the uppers, and made a “tile backsplash” with peel and stick vinyl floor tiles that I cut to size and spray painted then put on posterboard that was then thumbtacked to the wall. Also spray painted the outlet covers. Another bonus was spray painting a few of those peel and stick tiles with black chalk paint and putting them on the inside of a few upper cabinet doors.
5. Penny art
6. Painted the bricks in my fireplace white.
7. Added contact paper to my French doors.
8. Added curtains to the laundry area after I took off the folding doors. Also cleaned up/organized my laundry area and added a small lamp so I could actually see in there. Plus I painted 2 plastic containers for Zoey’s food and treats. A bonus was spray painting some clothes pins and using those with shoe laces and hooks to create cheap and easy but “custom” curtain tie backs.
9. Made stainless steel furniture! First did my night stand then a week or so later dove in and did the dresser and chest of drawers.
10. Rearranged my living room furniture layout. I also repainted my end tables and coffee table but ended up taking the coffee table down to the basement and bringing up the coffee table with storage ottomans up instead. And spray painted the baskets that go with the end tables.
11. Bought and put out black area rugs – one for the living room and one for my bedroom.
12. Master bathroom – totally updated that! Painted the walls, floors, trim, doors, vanity cabinets, wall cabinets and storage, tp caddy, shutters, outlet covers and grate, towel bar, shower rod, and countertop. Also re-hung the wall storage cabinets in different places. Bought moulding (which was painted) and framed out the mirror. Made a border from cut down peel and stick tiles (yes, those were painted too) and finished it off with nailhead trim. Put some aluminum flashing on the side of the vanity cabinet that was “framed” with electric tape. Got a new shower curtain and mats. Oh, and spray painted the soap dispenser and cup that I use as a toothbrush holder to match the decor. AND made 2 pieces of thumbtack art especially for the bathroom. Then I got a cute framed image for Christmas that matched the decor so hung that up as well.
13. Guest bathroom – new moulding for the mirror (I cut the angled edges myself!! then spray painted it) and painted the countertops. Had planned to paint the cabinets but liked how it looked much better after I painted the counters so just wiped it down good with a vinegar and oil mix that makes the wood look richer.
14. Made some Christmas decorations – spray painted plastic snowflakes and hung those along with some thumbtack art.
15. Spray painted a basket from yellow to silver that I use to keep my remotes in the living room.
16. Put a big framed poster that had been on the living room wall and placed it on the lower part of my entertainment center – it is the perfect size and goes right under the tv.
17. Redid an old printer stand with aluminum foil and “distressed/aged” it with some black acrylic paint.
18. Spray painted a frame I got from the thrift store and turned it from a print to a chalkboard by spray painting the interior print with chalk paint.
19. Mosaic with old cds – used it as a frame for a massive piece of thumbtack art.
20. Added thumbtacks to some old candles to spruce them up.
21. Made cracked marble jewelry
22. Spray painted some tiny plastic toys and an eraser and added eyehooks to make pendants/jewelry.
23. Hung up some thumbtack art in the hall and other places
24. Spray painted other things – like old tin boxes to use as a way to organize stuff
It’s only a few days into 2015 and I have gotten a few things done. Been on a roll:
* Added “stainless steel tiles” to the back of my kitchen peninsula by cutting down aluminum flashing to subway tile size and using adhesive to put it up.
* Added tigerprint “wall paper” (actually gift wrap) to 2 of my bedroom walls
* Rearranged my bedroom furniture
* Been organizing my bedroom (including buying and putting together this 9 cube organizer thing)
* Painted a bookshelf and added wrapping paper to the back to give it some extra pop.
* Added paw print “wall paper” (again wrapping paper) to the wall in the guest bathroom (aka the cats’ bathroom)
* Hung up some individual wall shelves for thumbtack art display
* Rehung/moved around/hung for the first time some of my old decorations and thumbtack art in my living room
* Added a log/heater insert into my fireplace. I never used it for an actual fire so thought it would be nice to have a fake fire and heater to give it ambience.
* I have bought 2 new comforter sets (both Paris themed) but they haven’t arrived yet. Also ordered a Paris soap dispenser and a Paris shower curtain. I just got the new shower curtain – but I figure I can switch out from time to time to give myself a jolt of newness. I also think I might mix and match the comforter sets – like one comforter with the other set’s pillow shams or use both at once. I figure i’ll just alternate the comforters every few weeks.
So that’s what I’ve done in the last few months and the first week or so of this year.
Upcoming goals are cleaning my basement stairs and then painting the treads (I’ll just use some of the left over porch and floor paint in a dark gray I used for my master bath floor) and then putting aluminum flashing on the risers. Still figuring out what size “tile” I want to do and what configuration/pattern.
Organizing and decluttering – so much crap to clear out and organize from my closets, linen closets, guest bedroom, office, basement, and garage.
I’ll probably paint my upstairs foyer and hallway
Perhaps add some “crown moulding” to the top of my kitchen cabinets
I’d also like to do something to my basement “foyer”. It’s often the first thing I see when I come home (I have to go through it to get to the stairs when I come in from the garage) so I’d like for it to be more interesting than how boring and plain it is now. It used to be Zoey’s “bedroom” before I allowed her to sleep with me. The only thing in there is a cabinet thing on the wall. I want to keep that more than likely but it could be painted. Don’t know what sort of furniture – if any – would go there. Going to have to ponder it for awhile.
Some other things I want to do but that aren’t a big pressing thing – do the same paint treatment to my dining room table and old desk.
Eventually I might like to remove the wall paper and paint below the chair rail in my dining room/Elvis room.
I’ve got other book cases to paint as well as another printer stand.
Also have some furniture in my guest bedroom (a whole set) that might need some sort of facelift/update.
I’d like to try my hand at re-covering some old throw pillows with new fabric. Also I want to try recovering this chair I have. I bought a cute tablecloth that should work – just don’t know how to go about it.
I’d also like to get my back deck fixed up. It’s seen some wear and tear and I’d like to have it looking decent again.
Of course, I always have plenty of thumbtack art pieces I want to make. Also want to try some other arts and craft type things – like making a sunburst mirror and doing fun stuff with crayons – like melted crayon art and the scratched away crayon art. And I still want to o some sort of arty thing with tin foil.
Always plenty to work on!